Tuesday, February 15, 2011

San Diego Opera Ensemble 1989-2008

My set design for 'Signor Deluso' [Thomas Pasatieri]

The professional relationship I had with San Diego Opera between the years 1989-2008 is very special to me. For the major portion of my time there, I was the resident set designer for the San Diego Opera Ensemble, an educational outreach project of the Opera that toured an ensemble cast of six young professional opera singers to schools and other venues throughout Southern California. Our sets had to be flexible to fit performance spaces from activity rooms to cafeterias. Many of our productions, including specially adapted classic operas, also had versions that could accommodate time slots from a 45-minute class period to a full-length school assembly. Our budgets were suitably small for the educational wing of a non-profit organization, but I had the privilege of working with the incomparable San Diego Opera Scenic Studios where our sets were constructed and painted.

Here is a selection of sets and set pieces I designed during that period—

Backdrop for 'Cinderella'

'Le Docteur Miracle' [Georges Bizet]

'Bravo, Rossini' [Kellie Evans-O.Connor], above; main set piece, 'The Sleeping Beauty' [Nicolas Reveles], below.

No comments:

Post a Comment